15 Mar 16
PlayStation VR Releasing in October, Will Cost $399
Today at GDC 2016, Sony announced the PlayStation VR will be released this October 2016 and will cost users $399. While the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive will be shipping out soon they are priced much higher than the PlayStation VR and require a pretty power computer to operate. At $399 the PlayStation VR looks to be the cheapest entry point into VR gaming.
The PlayStation VR will primarily focus on VR gaming and supports both Dualshock 4 and PlayStation Move controllers. Additionally players will be able to use the PlayStation VR to go into a ‘cinematic mode’ to see a 16:9 screen and play PS4 games on the headset.
While the PlayStation VR is not as powerful as the Oculus Rift or HTC Vive it looks to be a hassle free way for gamers to get into VR. Unlike the Rift or Vive the PlaySation VR doesn’t require a powerful PC but instead runs off a PS4. With an install base of 35.9 million users there’s plenty of potential for the Playstation VR to become console gamers choice of VR platform.
PlayStation VR Specifications:
- Product name: PlayStation®VR
- Component: Processor unit, VR headset
- Display Method: OLED
- Panel Size: 5.7 inches
- Panel Resolution: 1920×RGB×1080 (960×RGB×1080 per eye)
- Refresh rate: 120Hz, 90Hz
- Field of View: Approximately 100 degrees
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Gyroscope
- Connection interface: HDMI + USB
- Function: 3D audio, Social Screen